Monday, August 31, 2009

Need a foursome, umm maybe not.....


Be careful what you ask for…..

I ran into a situation last Friday where I wanted to get out and play on Saturday morning, but all of the guys I usually play with were unavailable to get out. The weather was supposed to be great so there is no way I was not going to get out and play. I work in a pretty big office so I figure there has to be someone who is available to play this weekend. I ask around and I get a lot of “no’s” and a couple of “I’d like to but I can’t maybe in a couple of weeks”. Well I need to play this weekend and I already had the tee time booked. So I have one more guy to ask we will call him “Steve”. I know Steve is somewhat athletic plays competitive tennis and is pretty good from what I hear. I occasionally hear him talking about golf and recently got into a conversation about golf with him and he seemed to know what he was talking about.

Steve said sure and took me up on my offer…. Great now I have a partner for Saturday!

Remember, I have never played with Steve before so I don’t know what to expect. He said hasn’t played much this year because of tennis and he has only played 4 rounds this year. He warns me "not real good, been shooting in the high 90's". I was kind of relieved I figured if he is in the 90's he can get the ball around the course at least so no big deal..... I think you know where this is going. He showed up with no golf shoes, a skeleton bag of clubs with two broken shafts stuck in his bag, about 8 Initech golf balls. He shot a VERY generous 61 on the front (more like 70-75 in you included drops, penalties, deciding he is just going to drop at the 150 marker in the middle of the FW, and picking up and saying... give me a 7) I will admit he shot a little better on the back he actually made a legit par and a legit bogey. On the 14th hole he hits one out of bounds deep into the woods; he has a worried look on his face. I say just hit another one, in a nervous/embarrassed voice he says “that’s alright; I didn’t realize I was running so low on balls”. Low???? Low has a different meaning for me, usually means only a few left….. HE WAS OUT OF BALLS!! I say to him “well I have some you can have don’t worry”. He says “Hey don’t give me any of your good ones” (yeah no kidding). So I give him a couple shag balls I had in my bag and he takes it right to the 150 marker and drops it in the fairway. His back 9 score on the card was a 52 (more like 60-65) When we tallied up his score it was 113 (eeerrr ... 130-140) and he says "man 113 that’s rough, at least I started coming around at the end" pheewhhhh!!! That was a lot more than I bargained for!

Three good things did come from this experience. 1.) I appreciate that he was willing to go and tee it up with me at last minutes notice 2.) It was nice to see someone who is struggling pick up his ball and not hold up play 3.) I learned that no matter how much golf balls cost I will never buy an Initech…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog